Friday, January 06, 2006


Chapter 3 - A Game of Cards

It's funny what you see when you know that someone's going to read your work. After taking another look at the first part of the book today, I see that the "Interlude" chapter will probably need to be cut for three reasons:

  1. The main character of the chapter doesn't appear again in the novel.

  2. It's a lead in to chapter 3. But chapter 3 is a flashback, and for various reasons, a multi-chapter flashback seems problematic to me.

  3. Who ever heard of having an "Interlude" when you're only one chapter into the novel?


I may yet work this in somehow. In particular I want to get across that Isalis is a city of tides (so much so that the whole city is submerged once a year), and to continue to emphasize that it's the Kang that rule things here.

I'm a little embarrassed to be cutting and rearranging this early in the beta, but I suppose it's best I get it over with as soon as possible.

So on to chapter three, wherein we introduce the second main character, a wily Rahastran Cartomancer named Feurid.


"After all, I've never lost a finger playing cards."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My advice would be to lose the first paragraph and go straight into the game of cards with Feurid. Then, toward the end, have a brief (but not too obvious) description of the swordsman linking to Za'dar. With the interlude chucked aside, I think you can do this. Otherwise, it would be laborious to go to three different points of view so quickly.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a good comment. I've never been so fond of that first paragraph anyway.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

site stats