Saturday, March 11, 2006


War of the Gyro reviewed at 0.333

James at 0.333 published a very good review of War of the Gyro. Not only does he like it, but he rates me favorably in the same review with Cory Doctorow. I can't help but being a little puffed up by that.
He isn't a graduate of Columbia's MFA program nor did he attend a Clarion Writer's Workshop, as far as I know.

It's true. I don't have any special writer's cred in that way (though I did get a rejection slip from Wizards of the Coast yesterday). I did, however, "waste" my schooling years studying philosophy, so I'm nearly as low on the usefulness scale.

I'm somewhat embarrassed that I still haven't read Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town, as I really enjoyed Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, but maybe I'll get to it soon. I've been on a huge paperback science fiction kick lately. The reason is as simple as the discovery of a used bookstore behind the place where I buy my groceries. Now, thanks to a bunch of replies to a thread I posted on Attacks of Opportunity, I've got a even more recommendations to sift through.

Recently Read:

  • Trekmaster by James Johnson - a totally random choice that turned out quite well. A world degenerated to feudalism has been reunited by a powerful leader who hopes to reintegrate it with the galactic union.

  • Solar Lottery by Phillip K Dick - In the future, Von Neuman's game theory is the basis for a system of government, and someone's trying to kick over the game board.

  • The Crack in Space by Phillip K Dick - A fascinating political sci-fi that can summarizedied in the following sentence: A helluva lot of strange stuff has to happen before an African American can get elected president.

  • The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove - Lee's army accepts miraculous new weapons from a group of mysterious strangers but find that winning independence comes at a great cost. This novel presents a much more optimistic view of the South than Turtledove's other "south wins the war" alternate histories.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell you what, WoTC are fools but keep writing and keep submitting! Your work is worth publication and if you keep at it you will get picked up. Then I can say, "I read Tony when he was churning out pulp on Blogger". :-D

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you're going to comment spam me, AT LEAST HAVE THE SENSE NOT TO SPAM THE SAME POST TWICE!

Anonymous comments now disabled.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*sigh* word verification now required to comment.

&#*^-heads.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

site stats